Makan With Seniors
Our first Makan with Seniors at NVPC in May.
Food has a way of bringing people together, which is exactly what an initiative called ‘Makan with Seniors’ started by Ageless Online and FACEUP hopes to do – bring together youths with seniors over their favourite meal. The idea for ‘Makan with Seniors’ came from an initiative called ‘Feast with Strangers’ by Oxford historian Theodore Zeldin, which is being held all around the world. However, ‘Makan with Seniors’ puts the focus on seniors, and celebrates seniors’ life stories.
These conversations are helped through a menu which has a list of questions for the seniors to answer including their memories of WWII, recollecting of local events that impacted them and sharing of their growing up years. Conversations can also grow organically. The hope is that through these simple conversations, there will be more understanding between the generations. Stereotypes can be broken down and new friendships gained.
We held our first session on May 19 at the National Volunteer & Philanthropy Centre (NVPC) co-hosted by A Good Space.
We have held subsequent Makan sessions at:
- Senior Savvy 2018 by Youth Corps
- Singapore’s Eldercare Cluster (#2).
- A Good Day, an event organised by A Good
- Space (three sessions) (#3a (#3), #3b (#4) and #3c (#5)).
- Ulu Pandan CC involving its Wellness
- Centre, organised by volunteers Le Yi and Melanie (#6).
- NVPC co-hosted by A Good Space (#7).
- Camp Hiro’s YES! Festival (#8), organised by Camp Hiro.
- NUS, organised by volunteers Melanie and Le Yi (#9).
- NVPC co-hosted by A Good Space to celebrate International Day of Older
- Persons (#10).
Camp Hiro’s YES! Festival, organised by
- Camp Hiro (two sessions) (#11 and #12).
- Dunman High School involving seniors from Tung Ling Community Services, organised by students Shiqi, Tammy and Qiao Ling (two sessions) (#13 and #14).
- Camp Rec V @ Ren Ci Nursing Home, Bukit Batok (#15)
- NVPC co-hosted by A Good Space (#16).
- NVPC co-hosted by A Good Space (#17).
- NVPC co-hosted by A Good Space (#18).
- NVPC co-hosted by A Good Space (#19).
- NVPC co-hosted by A Good Space (#20).
- Camp Rec V @ Ren Ci Nursing Home, Ang Mo Kio (#21)
Our Makan session at NVPC.
** Our Makan initiative has since been featured by MediaCorp Capital 95.8 – www.channel8news.sg/news8/latestnews/20180906-sg-makan/4122230.html – as well as Shin Min Daily. We have also been mentioned by The Smart Local as one of eight unique activities to meet new friends in Singapore – https://thesmartlocal.com/read/unique-activities-singapore?fbclid=IwAR14q_kl1AzYmAdQxbeTzEx0-EYguc2JZBNRCNJWlx5QB69FtdopPTjiMv8.