A little help
NTUC Health offers a number of services at home to caregivers who need some support.
NTUC Health’s (formerly NTUC Eldercare) Care@home provides a comprehensive range of quality and affordable care services, delivered by its team of healthcare professionals and trained caregivers in the comfort and privacy of one’s own home. Eligible clients may enjoy government subsidies of up to 80 percent off Care@home services, subject to Means testing and other assessments.
Care@home provides the following services:
1) Social Home Care – This is for temporary or long-term care for clients at home. A trained senior care assistant is deployed to your home to assist the elderly in activities such as:
- Companionship and recreational activities.
- Grocery shopping.
- Light housekeeping.
- Meals preparation.
- Medical escort.
- Mentally-stimulating activities (for seniors with dementia).
- Personal grooming (haircut).
- Personal hygiene (showering/bed bath).
- Physical maintenance exercises.
- Respite care for caregivers.
2) Home Nursing – This is home-based nursing care given to clients who require post-surgery or long-term medical care to recuperate at home. A trained nurse is deployed to your home to assist your family member in services such as:
- Administration of Ventolin Puff and nebulizer.
- Changing of feeding tubes.
- Changing of urinary catheters.
- Diabetic care.
- Medication packing.
- Monitoring of vital signs (blood pressure/body temperature).
- Removal of stitches/staples.
- Wound and stoma care.
3) Home Therapy – Care@home offers physiotherapy and occupational therapy for clients who need rehabilitation at home. A qualified physiotherapist or occupational therapist is deployed to your home to assess, recommend and assist your family member with physical rehabilitation:
- Assessment and design of treatment plan.
- Rehabilitation of programmes to strengthen muscle and motor coordination.
- Recommendation on modification to home environment for rehabilitation.
4) Interim Caregiver Service – This service supports patients who are medically fit for discharge from hospital while long-term caregiving arrangements are made at home. The service is provided six days a week, up to two consecutive weeks. Clients may request for either or both of the following shifts during the two-week period: 12-hour day shift from 8am to 8pm or 10-hour night shift from 10pm-8am. For more information on this service, speak to your hospital discharge coordinator.
5) Home Medical Consultation – Clients who require medical help but have difficulty leaving home can engage NTUC Health’s doctors for a house call.
- Medical consultation and assessment.
- Chronic disease management.
- Assessment of suitability for referrals (to home therapy or home nursing).
- Ordering of laboratory tests.
- Medicine prescription and administration.
Besides these services, NTUC Health’s Care@home also offers health talks on dementia care, caring for elderly at home, falls prevention, pressure sores prevention, stress management guide for caregivers caring for elderly and urinary incontinence in elderly. It also offers training for caregivers, including domestic helpers in the areas of: Basic understanding of ageing; communicating with seniors; recording and reporting of information; safety, hygiene and infection control; falls prevention; transfer of elderly; and personal hygiene and grooming. It can be held in a classroom or at home.
For more information, contact NTUC Health’s care coordinators at 6715 6715 or e-mail to: email@example.com.